Friday, April 1, 2011

2KCBW DAY 4

In the DVD player: Firefly
Currently Reading: Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton
Whatever happened to your __________?

Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.

There are a lot of different aspects to look at when looking back at a knitting project and it can make for interesting blogging, as much of the time we blog about items recently completed, new and freshly completed. It is not so often that we look back at what has happened to these items after they have been around for a while.

How has one of your past knits lived up to wear. Maybe an item has become lost. Maybe you spent weeks knitting your giant-footed dad a pair of socks in bright pink and green stripes which the then ‘lost’. If you have knit items to donate to a good cause, you could reflect on the was in which you hope that item is still doing good for it’s owner or the cause it was made to support.


So. Anyone remember the 198 Countries Peace Project?

If you're an astute reader and wondered why there was never any mention of it being sold, well, that's because it never was.

Intended to be shown at my Senior Thesis Show, back in May 2009, the idea was to sell the finished project and donate all of the money to Doctors Without Borders.

Making the project was a huge process. After several critiques from classmates and instructors, I ended up starting over. The results were lackluster, even to my eyes. I still have not come up with a satisfactory way of displaying all of the flags.

Don't misunderstand. I WANT to finish the project. Badly. And I still want to donate the proceeds to charity. The problem is that after over a year of unsatisfactory work, I am somewhat discouraged with it. I know there is a problem in the visual presentation, but I can't seem to figure out how to solve it. Additionally, I don't have a work space large enough to lay it all out and complete the sewing, and with no buyer in mind, nor a place to show it, it honestly has not been a priority.

One day, I WILL go back and finish it. I don't know when that day will be, but it will happen. I am disappointed and frustrated that such a great idea has fizzled down to this point, but at this time I don't have a whole lot of options.

____
The drawing for the Japan Relief contest is now closed. I will be drawing and notifying winners this weekend, and will announce them on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment