A few weeks ago, I was on Ravelry in the Knitting our Way to Peace group. In this thread, I brought up a project I would like to do for my senior thesis show this fall. The other Ravelrers were enthusiastic, and now that things have temporarily settled down a little, I'd like to get started with it.
The idea is this: a flag for every nation of the world, sewn together to make a large quilt. At the center would be the words "Let there be Peace on Earth." I think it would be much more meaningful if it was a group project, rather than an individual one.
So, here we are. I would like a little help with this, but of course, there are guidelines. If you would like to participate, PLEASE READ ALL OF THE RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE BEGINNING!
1) Please sign up for a country before you begin to prevent repeats. This link will provide you with a list of available countries. To claim one, simply leave a comment on that post.
2) Some countries and territories are in the middle of political upheaval, and have more than one flag. I leave it to you to decide which flag you do, or even both. All I ask is that you please select a flag from the list; Due to time constraints, I am no longer open to other flags (Maybe. If you can make a good case for it...)
3) There are occasional buyers who attend these senior thesis shows. If the piece sells, I would like to donate the money to Doctors Without Borders, which helps every nation regardless of politics or religion.
4) The show will be held sometime in early 2009, probably January. Dates are TBA. Please check back with the blog or with the Ravelry group for the most up-to-date information.
5) Sign ups are open until November 8, 2008.
Construction and shipping:
1) The height of each flag should be 20 cm, or 8 inches. The width should be 16 inches, or about 40 cm. IF YOU DO NOT MATCH THE PROPORTIONS EXACTLY, DO NOT FROG YOUR WORK. Please send it to me as is (preferably blocked, but I'm not picky). As long as it is reasonably close to the specified dimensions, I'll put it in (i.e, only off by 1" or so in each direction.)
2) The materials are open, but keep in mind that each flag will be hand-sewn together. Knitting, crocheting, weaving, felting, quilting, embroidery, tatting–I don’t care, but it must be fiber. You could even paint on canvas, but I ask that if you do, please remember the dimensions, remove the stretcher before shipping, and please leave enough blank canvas around the edges for me to sew, as I don’t want to damage the painting.
3) I would like to receive all the flags no later than December 13, 2008.
4) You can ship your flags to:
P.O. Box 781
London, OH 43140
5) Feel free to send your personal messages with your flags. I would love to display them at the show. I’m thinking about binding them into a handmade book to give with the finished product. If you would NOT like your messages displayed, just include a little PS and I'll leave it out.
6) I want to give credit where credit is due. Please include your name (real name or screen name, doesn’t matter), along with the name of the country your flag represents.
Please continue to check the blog, as I'll be posting regular updates and reminders.
You can also find the latest information in our Ravelry Group. You can watch the progress of the project through our Flickr group.
Edit: I had to move the list of countries because this post was over eight pages long and Blogger decided to rebel. You can find it here now. Please leave your sign-up comments on that page from now on, just so everything is nice and tidy and in one place. Thanks for your understanding! ^^