Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Out of Context

Hey, look! It's a finished object!


Pattern: Context by Kristen Briney

Yarn: main color--Cephalopod Yarns Skinny Bugga in a grey that I can't find on their site, "Geek". Contrast color is Bugga in "Spanish Dancer." (70% superwash Merino wool, 20% cashmere, 10% nylon. Skinny Bugga is fingering weight, Bugga is sport weight). I used a full ball of Geek, and about 1/3-1/2 of a ball of Spanish Dancer.

Needles: US 4/3.5mm

Notes: I made a few modifications to the original pattern. I decided I wanted it larger than pictured (I was hoping for something shawl size, but was out of luck), so I knit until I ran out of my main color. I did four rows of garter stitch after the end of the pattern, and then did the bind off row in the contrast color. Without cutting the yarn, I went straight into picking up stitches for the ruffle.

The original instructions for the ruffle call for it to be in plain stockinette, using a kfb increase in every stitch on right side rows, purling the wrong side rows. I decided that I wanted something more open, so I knit the the first two stitches on the right side rows, then did a yarn over between every stitch, knitting the last two stitches. The wrong side rows remained purled.

After only four rows, however, I was starting to run out of circular needle (that's what happens when you have almost 700 stitches on your needle). On the next rs row, I grabbed a crochet hook that was just slightly larger than my needles and did a modified crocheted cast off.

What I ended up with was an epic ruffle. It's kind of funny--I love ruffles on hand knitted objects, but I avoid them like the plague on anything store bought.

So why is this the Out of Context scarf? Well, first there are the modifications to the pattern. Second, the colors. Anyone who knows me knows that I am NOT a fan of our local college team. I don't even like the school very much, but that's a political diatribe I won't get into here. Anyway, I usually avoid the scarlet and grey color scheme whenever possible for that reason, but in trying to match a color to that grey, which has some yellow undertones and bits of grey and tan in it, the orangy-red of Spanish Dancer was really the only option from what I had on hand.

I think they look fabulous together.

I love this scarf.

I am not sure I can bring myself to wear it in public, however.

But perhaps I just need to get over my issues and appreciate the knitting. After all, the scarf itself has no affiliation or political leanings.

I'm just a girl with a scarf. Call me a Buckeye, and you might find out how pointy my needles really are.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive yarnsmithing! So, the geek is a skinny bugga and the Spanish Dancer's just a plain ol' bugga. knitters this side of the pond will be chortling at those names:-)

    ReplyDelete