Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Feast or Famine

One of the reasons I decided to take a break from creative writing is because it wasn't where my headspace was. Not only do I have things to accomplish on my self-imposed deadline, but right now knitting and designing is where my brain is at. When you're thinking in terms of K2TOG v. SSK, sometimes it's hard to transition into eloquent descriptions and engaging dialogue. Seriously, try it. Write a technical page using every possible abbreviation, making it as concise as possible with as few words, then write another page of flowery description. I bet you that either one is better than the other, or neither comes out because you're trying too hard to shift gears. I know that for me, at least, the neurological version of a transmission doesn't like it. Since those are expensive to replace, I'll stick with knitting for a while.

Which is great, since I've got an awesome book I'm writing. I've also got two more waiting in the wings.

And then this morning, I thought up a fourth.

Sometimes, it's great to have all of this creativity coming at you. Other times, it's frustrating, since we've already established that I can't Do All The Things!! much as I would like to. For starters, I only have one set of hands, and until medicine or evolution gives me at least three more, and the brain power to use them, there's no way I can work on all of these projects at once.

But, it's good to have options. See, each of these books has a different feel or theme to them. Censored is a little vulgar, but funny. It's also sarcastic. The patterns are mostly beginner level.

Knitting on the Road, which is on deck, contains slightly more complicated patterns. It's wistful, and fun, but lacks actual humor. It's more creative, I think, in terms of construction techniques and the combination of knitting and crochet.

The Yarnpocolypse, returns to witty, sarcastic humor, and combines knitting, crochet, and sewing with short stories and comics. Unlike Censored, though, it's got a PG rating.

This new book is untitled (hey, I just woke up!) and it's a departure from all three. It would be classic, "traditional" patterns--cardigans, socks, etc--that would have a broader appeal than any of the other books. There might be lace in it, if I could ever figure out how to do it. The idea is that there be a pattern named after and inspired by each of the women in my family. I've got designs running around in my head that need to be put on paper.

In addition, I'm collecting designs for a geek-themed collection, steampunk, and litterary inspired patterns.

I think I'm going to be knitting for a long while, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment