Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Longest Short

Around the beginning of June, Missouri convinced me to write a sip (aka, short story) for her publisher's charity project; Every year they publish a book of short stories to benefit a cause, and this year it's the It Gets Better Project. As one who suffered through bullying myself in school (albeit for different reasons) this is a cause that I strongly believe in so I jumped at the chance to help out.

It may come as a shock to some of you that with all of the writing I've done, very little of it would be what would qualify as "short." My average is between 40-60,000 words, so cramming an entire story down into something less than 8,000 was quite a struggle. Especially when the characters I'd chosen refused to cooperate. I went through no less than four initial drafts before finally picking a set up that seemed to work, and even then, after copious outlining and train-of-thought writing on the subject of where I wanted the story to go, it still took over a month and a half to write. But! I managed to finish it tonight, and the story clocks in at just over 7,300 words.

I just sent it off to Missouri for her opinion, and with luck it will be submitted by the end of the week. Hopefully it's accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment