Friday, January 22, 2010

The Walker Papers

The long awaited review! If you've been reading the blog for a while, then you probably know that I've been obsessed with this series by C.E. Murphy since I found it last July.

The book opens with sleep deprived Jo, flying home to Seattle from her mother's funeral in Ireland. Looking out the window, she spots a woman about to be stabbed by a man with a butterfly knife, and has no idea that her quest to save this woman's life will change hers forever.

So far the series consists of four books: Urban Shaman, Thunderbird Falls, Coyote Dreams, and Walking Dead, and features our heroine facing everything from Celtic gods to zombies as she struggles to understand the new world of magic that suddenly surrounds her.

These dark forces don't just tear up her every day life, but dredge up her past as well, forcing her grapple with her history and her problems, too.

Book two, which I've just started to re-read, takes place three months after the end of Urban Shaman, and Jo is doing her best to ignore her abilities and the responsibility that comes with them. When she's invited to join a coven, however, she discovers that ignorance isn't always bliss, and the consequences of her actions could be lethal.

I don't want to go into the later books too much, since I'm afraid to give spoilers, but this is one of my all-time favorite series. Every time I read it, I'm inspired to pick up my laptop and write more on whatever story I'm working on. Jo is down to earth, believable, and completely bad-ass. If you like urban fantasy, then you'll love The Walker Papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment