Wednesday, February 25, 2009

NO MORE CHOCOLATE.

Now that I have your attention:

For the last several years, it's been a tradition for my dad to go to Hershey, Pennsylvania in October and bring back CASES of chocolate. At this very moment, I have a box of Special Dark hoarded away in my bedroom, a remnant of his last trip.

Well, no more. Hershey's has announced that they are closing their American and Canadian plants and are moving to Mexico. At a time when America needs all of the jobs it can get, Hershey had decided to abandon ship and go south of the border where costs are lower and regulations less stringent. To add insult to injury, they have raised the prices of all of their products.

This move has already cost over 3,000 people their jobs, and will decimate the town of Hershey, PA, between the factory, the museum, and the resort, not to mention the loss of tourism. The fall car show and swap meet, the attraction for my dad, is one of the largest in the nation and draws several thousand people from all over the country every year.

I think this is an irresponsible move on the part of Hershey's, and I urge chocolate lovers nation wide to boycott their products. If they want to take away our jobs and our pride, then I will do my best to take away their profit. No company should treat their customers or their employees in this way after 110+ years of loyal service.

Chocolate is serious business. Do you want yours made by the people down the street, or in a sweat shop in Mexico?

1 comment:

  1. Business is business... but this is truly disappointing. I'm with you on this boycott.

    ReplyDelete