Monday, August 19, 2013

Inspiration ADD

My brain is still going in overdrive. In the last two weeks, I've gotten ideas for a webcomic (well, two of them, technically), a possible second run for the Post Club, a short-story-but-also-possibly-a-novel, plus I've been wanting to work on at least three existing projects.

There simply aren't enough hours in a day to do everything I want to do. Work keeps getting in the way, especially since I worked longer than usual hours last week.

The more I try to focus on one project and get it done, the more ideas I get for other things. This is how it usually works for me--I have periods of creative drought, so to speak, and then bursts where by brain won't shut up and is moving faster than my hands (or the rest of me) can keep up with. I'm trying to make as many notes as I can so that I can save the ideas for those dry spells when I have nothing (I use the phrase loosely) to work on.

The outlining process seems to be working really well for me. I used to hate writing outlines, but I've discovered that for me, writing out the entire story in outline format is useful because it helps me find weak points in the plot. Last month I was working on the third or forth draft of an outline for a story I've already rewritten five or six times. By examining the outline, I learned that the point where my stories usually go astray is when the antagonist shows up. I'm working on creating richer, more defined villians as a result. Villians are people too, so they need to have motivations that are just as strong as those of the hero(ine).

I'm afraid that the one thing this creative deluge has been ignoring is the blog. Every time I try to sit down and write a post, it wants to be a list. A list of all of the disorganized little things I'm working on, reading, and watching. So if there's something that you want my opinion on, leave a comment and I'll happily work up a post about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment