Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Knitter's Weekend Part I: Pride Columbus Meetup and Yarn Crawl

It's been a few days, so I'm mostly recovered now from a very busy weekend. It was so much fun though--I seldom go out, let alone with people (because REASONS, mostly involving the fact that I'm a broke hermit). But on Saturday I got to meet a whole slew of Ravelers at Columbus Pride.

We started off at the Columbus Pride Parade, which was just all kinds of fun. Here are a few highlights:




I think this should be my next car. What do you think?



There were some really funny signs in the parade, but I couldn't snap a picture of my favorite: "If we've learned anything from Harry Potter, it's that you can't live in a closet."

These guys just made my day. There was also a Sebastian and an Ursula.
 We had perfect weather for the parade. It was sunny and bright without a cloud in the sky. Even though it was 90+ degrees, High Street had a great breeze going so it felt much cooler and wasn't at all unbearable.

After the parade, we headed up to one of the local yarnshops, where I bought the two center cakes of yarn pictured below. The rest came from our after dinner stop of Michael's.

Back row (L-R): Red Heart Unforgettable in "Parrot" and "Dragonfly."
Middle: Cascade Ultra Pima #9778 and #9781.
Front: Loops and Threads Elegance in "Ocean" and "Smoky Plum."
You can't tell at all that I have a favorite color pallet, can you?
 The Ultra Pima is 100% cotton, but I think it's much nicer to work with than most other cottons. I think it's a little easier on the hands.
I almost swapped this one out for another variegated purple or aqua, but decided that I needed to mix it up a little. Besides, I love the sherbet-like colors in it.
Unfortunately, the others are all 100% acrylic, but they're so pretty that I think it makes up for it. Anyway, I'm not above using acrylic. Unforgettable looks slightly Noro-like in the ball, and since I can't use Noro because of my allergies (and the fact that it feels like a kitchen scrubber to me) I think this is a decent substitute.


We ended the day with Mexican food and margaritas (well, they had margaritas. I had iced tea, because I am not so fond of the alcohol and suspect that drinking would end very badly for me (also for REASONS).

It was a fabulous day, and also completely exhausting. I can't wait to see everyone again next time!


2 comments: