Friday, May 17, 2013

Irony, or my psychic powers at work

At work, I tease my coworkers and tell them that I have psychic powers. Mostly, this is because I've been there long enough that if someone starts to ask me a question I can usually tell what the question is before they finish asking it and nine times out of ten, I have the answer.

The posts about Grandma's box have been sitting on Blogger in draft form for months. My uncle sent us the box right before Christmas, but between the multiple computer implosions and moving and the suck that was the beginning of the year, I never got around to loading the pictures into the post so that I could share it. When I finally sat down to do it, it still took me three days because Blogger didn't want to load the images.

But that's not the point. The point is, after waiting months, I finally posted something about my mom's family, about someone who was dear to me even though I didn't get to know her as well as I would have liked. Most of the people on that side of the family are like that for me--I seldom get to see them, but our personalities just match.

This morning, I got a call from my mom. Her brother, my uncle, had a heart attack/stroke. She described it as "mild" though I don't know how a combination heart attack and stroke can ever be mild. I guess that's what the doctors call it when you're still alive to tell the tale and not permanently disabled.

Uncle Steve is probably my favorite person on the entire planet. He always makes me laugh, and he never takes anything too seriously. Unfortunatly, in the past couple of years, he's been dealt some really, really shitty hands (no other word for it) and hasn't been taking care of himself.

He's been released from the hospital. Evidently all of this happened on Wednesday, but because he doesn't have any friends or family to speak of near him, there wasn't anyone to call us until he got home.

I would give anything to be able to go up and see him right now, to spend a summer with him like I did in college, but that's not going to happen. I had to save for a year just to get to Cincinnati, and I'm still completely wiped out from that trip, financially speaking. It is unlikely Mom will be able to go see him, either. 

So do me a favor and hug someone close to you tonight, because I can't.

2 comments:

  1. Sad news that your Uncle had a heart attack and stroke, good news is that he is recovering. Mrs. M and myself will keep him in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! This is awful! I'm very sorry you and your mom cannot visit your uncle during this sad time. My thoughts are with you, I hope he recovers well so you can visit him another time and hug him tightly.

    ReplyDelete