Thursday, April 25, 2013

4KCBWDAY4 Color!

What are your favourite colours for knitted or crocheted projects. Have a think about what colours you seem to favour when yarn shopping and crafting.

Only after writing this part of your post should you then actually look to see what colours you have used in your projects. Make a quick tally of what colours you have used in your projects over the past year and compare it to the colours you have written about. Compare this, in turn, to the colours that are most dominant in your yarn stash – do they correlate?

Now think back to your house animal - do the colours you have chosen relate to your animal in anyway - if you are in the house of peacock, for example, are your projects often multicoloured and bright?
 Color, color. Like the projects I talked about the other day, I am constantly surprised by the colors that end up in my wardrobe.

My favorite color is turquoise or teal (basically light and dark of the same color). I could happily put it on everything, but I try to reign myself in so that it doesn't get overwhealming. I often pair it with purple, because they look awesome together, and black, because black makes any bright color look excellent.

I tend to gravitate towards a lot of neutrals for items that I know I'll wear a lot--things that will go with everything, since they'll be worn with everything. So most of my work clothes are in black, grey, or brown, with some solid color tops.

I love bright colors, but something weird about me--I can't do patterns. I will always pick a solid or maybe a striped fabric over one that has a pattern on it. Patterns get dated so easily, they're harder to pair with other things, and in general I find them unflattering. So for me, solids are the way to go.

I also love horizontal stripes, but I dislike vertical ones. I know that vertical stripes are supposed to be more flattering, but with the exception of very subtle pinstripe pants, I hate wearing them. They just look....wrong. Horizontal stripes, every time for me.

When buying yarn, it's very easy for me to fill my entire cart with blue yarn. Since I have found myself in the position of having an entire wardrobe that is nothing but black and blue, however, I try to curb that inclination. I might put a yarn back and pick the same type in a different color (usually purple, pink or red).

For a long time, pink was a no-no on my list, but I find myself gravitating towards it again, especially if it's a pink/brown combo. Brown, I find, classes things up. Softens them. My bedroom is done in brown and turquoise.

I am making a conscious effort to bring red back into my wardrobe. In high school, my closet was full of black and red. I blame subliminal messaging, since those were our school colors. Eventually, the red got phased out and somehow, I wound up with a single red shirt. Since it's a very flattering color on me and one that I love, I'm trying to get more of it now, though fashion is conspiring against me. It hasn't been a popular color for a couple of years now.

One color that I adore but can't wear is yellow. I'm olive complected, so most greens and yellows are a no-no. Green must be at least 50% blue (teal), and the yellows have to be more of a neutral, butter yellow, usually lighter in tone. I tend to avoid green and yellow altogether (except for teal).

Looking at my project page, there's some pink, some purple, and some blue. Only one mostly blue object (Charlotte). There's a green afghan, but that was a gift. The illusion patterns involve horizontal stripes, and I tend to use a lot of black in my illusion work (trying to curb that, too). I did use yellow on a couple of projects, but one of them had to use yellow because of what I was making. In both cases, I used a lighter yellow that works better with my skin tone.

So, are my projects bright and colorful? I think so. I don't make a lot of things with more than 2 yarns, but I've been delving into variegated and multicolor yarns more and more, and trying to expand my color horizons. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment