Monday, January 7, 2013

These are NOT resolutions.

Last year, my goals were to get published, and to get a new job. I did get published in 2012 in the form of 2 short stories and a pattern, but I'd like to get something a little more substantial out there in 2013: a novel and/or a knitting book.

I am still looking for a new job.

I'm not the type of person who does resolutions. For example, if I made if my new years resolution to get into shape, you can bet that I'd spend the next six months watching tv and eating bonbons instead of lifting weights or doing yoga or whatever. I would like to start working out more, but quite honestly, it's not that important to me. I get bored. I'd rather be writing or knitting, so that's what I'm concentrating on.

Normally, I'll set a goal or two in January, then revise it on my birthday (at the end of June) and take another look in the fall, around the time I would normally go back to school--I haven't been an "adult" long enough to train myself out of thinking of September as a new beginning. I may still do that, but this year I want to try setting monthly goals, too, that will help me reach those yearly goals. So here are my goals for January:

1. Finish short story--deadline Jan. 15
2. Finish vol. 1 of TSB (current novel)
3. Get the next pattern for "Censored" prepared
4. Look into/apply for 3 jobs per week.

The short story is maybe 1/3 complete, and I'm about 1/2 done with the novel. I have the chart prepped for the pattern, but nothing written out yet. And while I only applied to one job this week, I did spend some time looking into three different work from home sites. I decided they were all dodgy and will try something else next week.

February
1. Outline vol. 2 of TSB
2. Write first chapter of TSB
3. look into/apply for 3 jobs per week
4. Get last month's pattern test knit
5. Write out next pattern
6. finish book proposal

March
1. send out book proposal
2. 2 more patterns
3. write another short story
4. Look into/apply for 3 jobs per week

April
1. last pattern
2. wrap up TSB vol. 2
3. Begin revising LIAZ.
4. Look into/apply for 3 jobs per week

I'm not going to plan any further ahead than that, since for me it's a recipe for disaster. I plan, the universe laughs. We'll see if I make it through January on schedule first, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment