Friday, June 8, 2012

Window Shopping

Rawr, why must I be tormented when I'm broke?

I have about thirty things I want to purchase this week, but I've had to put them on hold thanks to bills. And then I get an email that KnitPicks is having a sale--not just a 50% off sale, but there's free yarn involved, too! Arg!

Oh, and have I mentioned lately that season 4 of the Murdoch Mysteries has finally come out on DVD? It was actually released on the 25th, but I haven't been able to purchase it yet. Another (fairly) recent release (at least, one I only recently found out about) is the region 1 edition of The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec has finally worked it's way down to a semi-reasonable price on Amazon. I've wanted to see this movie since before it came out in theaters in France, but have yet to find a way to watch it here in the states. As soon as funds allow, both of these DVDs will be coming home.

In the meantime, I'm satisfying my urge to watch period film with Netflix. I finished up the BBC's Wives and Daughters last night, and it was quite good, though I liked their North and South better. Right now I'm watching Bramwell, which is something like Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman meets Murdoch. Actually, it's got me wanting to watch Dr. Quinn, too. I loved that show when I was a kid, and it was Mom's favorite (though I was always perplexed about why though thought it was a good idea to drastically change the actress who played Colleen in the middle of the series the way they did, and for such a different actress. It wasn't exactly a seamless transition. But I digress). I love watching period films/tv when I'm knitting. I guess it's the whole history meets ancient craft thing. But it's always engrossing, and period dramas tend to age so much better than their contemporary counterparts. Also, costumes! Typewriters! What could be better?

Speaking of knitting, I finally got the paperwork for that knitting pattern I'm getting published (this month has been so exciting, professionally!) so I cast on for Northman #3 at last. I was putting it off until I had final confirmation from the publisher, but now that it's here I should be able to whip it out rather quickly. It usually doesn't take me more than a weekend to make a hat, and I love this pattern. It's so much fun to do colorwork. It's probably my favorite technique after entrelac.

Which reminds me, I should get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment