Sunday, February 5, 2012

S.T/A.R Project

Warning: This blog is about to become offensive to the ideologically sensitive.

Anyone who read the last post probably got the inkling that there's a change coming around here. After a bit of soul searching the past few days, I just came to the realization that I can't do it anymore. I can't just sit by and say "Boo hoo, how sad. What a shame," when I know that there are people out there who are being trampled on.

In the past few years, our country has been taking as many quick steps backward as it can, and no one seems to be doing anything about it. State after state is banning collective bargaining rights. "Personhood" amendments are attempting to reverse the Roe V. Wade decision, even in cases of rape, incest, or pregnancies that endanger the mother's life. Here in Ohio, groups are moving to prevent a woman's right to choose and all adult's ability to choose when and how to have their children with the loss of the Susan G. Koman grants for planned parenthood. Less than a month ago, right here in the town where I live, the home of a Muslim family was vandalized and then set on fire with two residents still inside.

And that's even before we get into the economy, foreign policy, the current presidential candidates, and the gay rights issue. And all of that is just what's going on in America.

How far are we going to backslide? Where does it stop? When are we as a nation going to draw the line and say, "This is enough."

Well, let me tell you, I can't do it anymore. I can't just sit here knowing that this nation is allowing human rights to be trampled on within our own borders. I can't fight for everything, much as I would like to.

I'm just a girl. I'm just one person. But I have a voice, a blog, and an idea.

You saw the image I posted yesterday. This image is now available through Society6.com on everything from tee shirts to iPhone cases. One half of all proceeds from the sale will go to the It Gets Better Project, a charity dedicated to providing hope and support to LGBT youth.

This project is about unity. It's about bringing people together, getting to know one another, and learning to respect each other even when we disagree. America has been called a melting pot, but as one of my college professors put it, it's more like a salad bowl. We still have a lot of separation, and many of the pieces don't like to mix.

The rainbow has long been a symbol of diversity and inclusion. Though I want all of us to retain our individuality, when there is a true blending of ideas and beliefs those seven colors don't remain separate, they join together in pure, white light--the light of a star, shining the way, much brighter than any of us could be on our own.

In addition to the Society6 sales, I also would like to create a public art project, a la the 198 Countries Peace Project. I don't have a venue yet or even what I'd need to get started setting this up, so I just want to send out feelers first: I want to collect letters. Letters written on different colored stationary, so that when they are displayed, they form a rainbow. These letters can be on a variety of subjects, but the topics I've thought up are: Respect, what it means to you; The turning point, when you came out of your darkest hour knowing that there was hope for the future. Where did that hope come from, who gave it to you? Also open letters to the public, political leaders, and of course, the youth and others who don't have anyone to stand up for them. Poetry and artwork are also welcome.

I think a minimum of 100 letters would be good, but I also think we can go bigger.

I'm creating a page on the S.T/A.R Project, and there will be a link in the sidebar with additional information. If you are interested in participating, please leave a comment below; please tell your friends and encourage them to participate.

If there's interest, I have some people that I can contact about finding a venue. I also think it would be neat to do something for Valentines Day, since it's the day of Love, but it's probably too short of notice for that.

So, leave a comment. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment