1. Yes, I am quiet by nature. This means I don't tend to engage in idle chit chat. You see, I believe that words have meaning, and I prefer to actually be saying something when I use them, rather than discussing things no one really cares about, like the weather.
2. I like people, but I also like my alone time.
3. Just because I'm not talking, or emailing, or answering your texts, or following your twitter, or constantly on IM doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means that I don't want to talk right this second. When I have an answer to your question, or something other than "hi" to say, I'll get back with you.
4. Sometimes, I'm quiet in a crowd. No, it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself. My idea of fun might be more subdued than your idea of fun, but it doesn't mean I enjoy it less.
5. Have you ever heard the phrase, "If you can't say something polite, don't say anything at all?" Keep it in mind. Because if nothing else, my mother raised me to be polite.
6. Don't assume that just because I'm quiet and generally polite that I'm a wet blanket. If you make that mistake, then you obviously haven't met my sarcastic side, which means you haven't been making an effort to know me at all, and instead you've been relying on that pointless chit chat that I hate so much.
7. I was raised that when you're at work, you work. It's not time to be hanging around socializing. I work. I work hard, and I put my best effort into it because even if it doesn't mean a lot to you, it's my livelihood and I'd rather like to keep it. I reiterate: it doesn't mean that I don't like you, it just means that I am here to work. If you have a question, then ask.
8. Water-cooler talk is frequently just gossip, and I refuse to engage in discussions of my coworkers, especially where customers or supervisors can hear. It's unprofessional and impolite.
9. Just because I'm not talking doesn't mean I'm ignoring you.
10. I believe in multitasking. My ears still work when my hands are busy (see #9).
11. Don't assume that "quiet" means "even tempered" I'm pretty laid back but that doesn't mean I won't go off on you. Push my buttons, and I will bite.
This week, I've had one too many of my buttons pushed, and I just wanted to put out there that people need to lay off. I've had text after text, interruption after interruption, call after call today and none of it freaking matters. I will get back to you all when I can do so without chewing off your heads.
Remember, it is always the quiet ones. And we are watching.