Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nerd Wars

I find it rather shocking that somehow I managed to make it over halfway through February and forgot to mention my latest activity. I've spent the last three weeks knitting my little fingers to the bone for Nerd Wars on Ravelry (you will need an account to view the page if you aren't a Ravelry member).

Basically, it's a competition between geeky knitters. There are several teams (I'm on Team Enterprise, but there's also a team for Firefly fans, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, RPGs, video games, and others) and every month members compete in six challenge categories to knit an item which answers the challenge in under thirty days. Points are awarded for completing the challenge, and there are also arbitrary bonus points awarded. It's great fun. Yesterday I finished a beret for the Nebula-inspired challenge:


We have two weeks left (or thereabouts) in the first round, and I'm about 1/3 done with my second challenge project, which falls under the team spirit category (basically, making something "for" a character in your fandom. My "recipient" is Spock). I don't have any photos of it yet, but I'll post pictures when the challenge is over.

If you're on Ravelry, it's too late to join this competition, but it runs three months so at the end of April you should be able to sign up again. And you can always watch as a spectator! There's some great people and we've been having a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment