Thursday, November 11, 2010

Shy Girl (and Cat) Travel the World


The misadventures of a twenty-something as she explores Europe, Asia, North America, and Down Under, without visiting a single bar. Except maybe the occasional Irish Pub.


Maybe it’s because I’ve lived in a small town my whole life, or maybe it’s because all through my undergrad I moved (yes, packed up everything and moved) on average every four months, but every couple of months I catch the travel bug--no. It’s more like cancer. It consumes me, for weeks on end, until I either make a short jaunt out of town that sends me into temporary remission, or have a terrible experience with something and vow to never leave the house again. At least until next week, anyway.

I think I watch too much TV. Lately I’ve gotten it into my head that I would make an awesome travel journalist. No, really. I could travel around the world, blogging about historical sites, local culture, and those small-town shops that everyone remembers being at the corner of main since they were kids, those pillars of the community until Walmart came in and shut them down.

Of course, I wouldn’t want to go alone. I about died leaving my fur-baby behind when I went to Italy this last time; of course he would have to come with me as often as possible. That’s a new angle, right? No one has done a show about traveling with pets (that I know of).

I’ve saved up some money. I’m trying to get through next quarter without taking out another student loan (my goal is to never take another one out again, or at least to never need one more for more than $5k if I can avoid it). My responsible self is telling me to stick it out, get this associates degree, and apply for a grad school...elsewhere. Doesn’t matter where, as long as the classes are in English.

My day-dreamer self, however, is convinced I should take the money and run. Set up a blog about my travels and send a proposal to the Travel Channel, cross my fingers and hope they’ll cover my expenses (or at least pay me more than I make now). Travel on a budget (I am SO good at that!). Going places that don’t involve copious amounts of alcohol (because apparently, I am the only person on my little corner of the planet that doesn’t find that amusing) (Please tell me I’m not the only person on the planet period. Please tell me!).

I could do it. How far do you think I’d get on $900?

Somehow, I’m thinking return airfare might be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment