Thursday, December 10, 2009

Funny Stuff

So. I just got out of my exam for On Site conservation, which is all about frescos. The first question on the exam was to name the layers of a fresco and what they are made of: Rinsaffo, Aricho, and Intonico.

Only when I was sitting there at my desk, I had a brain fart. I couldn't remember the name of the base layer (that would be the rinsaffo). Now, usually, the teachers here are kind of lenient when it comes to the spelling of Italian terms, since they realize that not only are most of us mono-linguistic anglophones, but we learning a new technical vocabulary as well. I'm hoping that this holds true for this exam, because even though it was on the tip of my tongue, the only word that would actually come out was "riffuti", which is the Italian word for garbage.

It's probably a good thing that my On Site instructor has a good sense of humor. At the very least she'll get a laugh out of it. Of course, I remembered the proper term as soon as I'd walked out of the classroom.

On the bright side, this means I am officially done with all of my exams. That means the only thing I have to worry about for the next three days is packing and cleaning. The bathroom and kitchen both need cleaned, and the garbage needs to be taken out before it takes over. We did find out that we can leave the things we aren't taking with us over Christmas in the apartment, which is nice since the alternative was leaving them in the damp basement at the school--not an appealing idea since I've got a suitcase of just books.

Hm. Might need to change that before I go home.

Speaking of books, I finished listening to Jason Pomerantz's reading of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I really enjoyed it; I've been putting off reading this book for years, and I'm so glad I finally got to listen to it. He has a lovely voice for narration, though some of his character voices did bug me a little, especially when he was reading the Cowardly Lion, and the King of the Flying Monkeys. It was pretty minor, however, and for the most part it really added something to the listening.

I did download another audio book at the same time, which was Shadowmagic by John Lenahan, who also is the reader. I've only gotten through the first chapter, I but was laughing out loud through most of it. The story is based losly on Celtic mythology, and incorporates both bits of mythology and contemporary characters. I'm trying to save a few chapters to listen to in the airport and on my long, long flight on Monday, but I might break down and listen to a couple more tonight. Each chapter is only 10-20 minutes, so it's completely manageable. If you would rather read a hard copy, you can find it here.

Well, enjoy your weekend, wherever you are. I will be back on Monday or Tuesday, most likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment