Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Perfectly Charming


This is the silver pendent I spent way too many days stressing over. It is made of sterling silver, with a little bit of nickel thrown in (like that gray band at the center of the moon). I actually melted this piece at one point, but managed to salvage it by copious amounts of filing, and soldering the crescents to the flat area.

Here is another picture for scale.
I am apparently very bad at soldering, which is why it melted. Silver and I tend to not get along so well when it comes to jewelry class, even though it's one of my favorite metals. The pendant is a triple moon or triple goddess, which symbolizes the Maiden, Mother, and Crone, similar to the way a triquerta would represent the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the Christian church.


This is a piece I did in ceramics, and in the words of my roommate, it's the coolest pot I've ever made. I was trying to come up with something junique, and I was also trying to figure out how to combine textiles with ceramics, since I'd just seen an artical on that in Fiber Artist magazine. After a little tooling around, I came up with the idea for a knitted "sweater pot". I mimiced the look of a cabled sweater, even putting in the purl bumps for the background. I was surprised at the glaze, because I painted it with Ox Blood, which is a dark red (no real oxen were harmed in the glazing of this pot, promise), but it came out bright blue. OB sometimes does that, but only if you put it on really thick, and even then it's only in patches.Oh well. It still looks cool, right?

I shipped out Donny's Soul Sucking Vampire Scarf of DEWM this morning. Shipping was a little more than I expected, but then again, the last time I shipped anything was before the cost of postage went up. Twice.

I also sent out the last of the forms for SACI. Now I just need to get my Visa taken care of.

Oh, and if you're interested, they have knitting themed holiday stamps now. Check them out on the USPS website.


Well, that is about it from me. My progress on my top-down hat has been moderate; I started the ribbing last night at my knitting group, but my wrists hurt, so I didn't even get to finish one row of it.

Speaking of knitting, I am off to order craft gloves, so that I might be able to continue working through the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment