Saturday, October 20, 2007

Is this thing on?

Well, here we are. My first "real" blog. For a while, I had one on Gaia online, but it's rather discouraging when no one reads the posts I spent so long putting together.

I guess I should back up a little here.

Knot Magick is based off of the Gaia journal, Darknit!. The problem with Gaia is that the crafting/knit blogging community is very small, thus, I decided to start this one here.

Yes, you read that right. I said "knit blog." As in, I will be talking about things relating to knitting, crocheting, and the design thereof--as well as a few other things.

As for the "magick" part--if you are close minded, please leave now. Don't bother to flame me, because I won't listen. I am pagan and proud. I don't bash your religion, so don't bash mine.

A little about me: I'm 20, and currently from Ohio (I hope that changes soon). I'm a fine art major with an interest in textiles. I'm minoring in art history and writing. I hope some day to be a novelist, among other things. I like traveling (though I seem to have very bad luck when I travel), knitting, drawing, writing, and reading. My favorite genre is fantasy.

The projects I currently have on the needles are: The Never Ending Skirt; The Butterfly Hat; The Kimono Sweater, and The Cabled Leg Warmers of DOOM.

The Never Ending Skirt is a skirt I started working on ages and ages ago--sometime last winter, I think. It's knit mostly of out Lion Microspun on size 7 circs. I've started over on it three or four times, so it's very irritating. It is the UFO that I grab at random, work on for ten minutes, then shove in a drawer for a few weeks. It is mostly black, with turquoise accents and lace at the bottom.

The Butterfly Hat is a Christmas present for my grandma, who loves butterflies. It is based off of a stitch used for a skirt on DIY's Knitty Gritty, but I'm altering it a bit so that instead of square butterflies, the wings will be diamond shaped. The background is burgundy stockinette, with white butterflies to match a scarf I gave her a few years ago.

The Kimono Sweater is loosely based on (guess what?) a kimono. At least, it started out like that. It doesn't resemble it so much now, but I still call it the kimono sweater. It's made from Lush. the front is open, two criss-crossed panels sewn to a broad obi-like waistband (or at least, it will be once I finish making the panels), with trim running around the neck line and the open area. The sleeves are belled. I was going to make them like the pocket sleeves in a real kimono, but I was short on yarn.

I'm not describing that well, am I? Well, probably later this week you'll see a photo of it half sewn together, and that should clear things up a little.

Please pardon my lack of tech-savy. Computers and I don't get along too well.

I suppose that's all I have to say for now. Hopefully things will get more interesting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment